Friday, May 28, 2010

Successful Lace Knitting

Two and a half years ago, Donna Druchunas was talking to my friend Alison Hyde about how she is planning to write a lace knitting book, honoring the work of Dorothy Reade. Donna wanted Alison to contribute, as they had just collaborated on Alison's book, Wrapped in Comfort.

Alison in her kindness referred Donna to me, who in turn graciously asked me whether I'd be interested in participating in a project that would involve 24 different lace patterns and just as many designers. We would all be able to pick a stitch pattern from a list, and then submit a design. I gratefully said yes.

I was very much inspired by a pattern that had 2 versions, and submitted designs for a shell knit in DK weight yarn, and a matching shawl, knit from chunky weight. Lorna's Laces was one of the companies that gave yarn support - and THAT inspired me even more. When a yarn and a pattern come together, it's a beautiful thing indeed.

Two years ago, I finished the pattern writing and the pieces and took a million pictures, before sending them off. Finally I am able to reveal:








Thank you for taking a first look. I am sure that I will be talking about this book and the projects in it a lot more....consider yourselves warned!!
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. It's Memorial Day weekend here, the weather is beautiful and summery, and tomorrow I get to go to the Massachusetts Sheep and Woolcraft fair in Cummington. My dear friend Anna is driving, and I reserve the right to take a nap in the middle of the day.

12 comments:

  1. Congrats on a lovely pattern! Have a wonderful day at the fair (and get plenty of rest).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful pattern, congratulations!!!
    I can't wait to hear all about the book.

    Hope you have a great day tomorrow! I won't be able to make it again this year so squeeze something soft & fluffy for me. I love Spinner's Hill, the owner's name is Lisa. I can't remember how many years ago we met now. Then I found out she dyed fiber. I just love her merino especially and she's even custom dyed for me. Don't be afraid to give her a try, I've NEVER been disappointed in anything I've ever bought from her! And she's the nicest woman to!

    Have a safe & wonderful trip & I'll talk to you soon!
    Lots of Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pattern is beautiful. Congratulations. I hope you have a great day at the fair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! The pattern and the yarn really do go together. The delicate colour changes remind me of litte pink shells.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear sister, thank you for the hat. I´m looking forward to wear it! I like it!!! And that pink shirt is beautiful! Doris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anonymous,
    I know Lisa and her fiber. As a matter of fact, I have a lot of her most fabulous fiber right here in my house already....waiting to be spun. I see her at MA and NY sheep and wools...LOVE her colors...her booth is a veritable vortex of fiber...gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That set is really stunning! Do you get to wear it now... or ever? Can't wait to see the whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karin,
    I forgot that without a blog I am anonymus.
    Silly me, I thought I signed it Lots of Hugs, Diane!

    I'm so glad you've tried her stuff to, I thought you might have but figured I'd pass the tip on anyway. :-) You and I have such good taste!

    I'm going back to being Anonymous now or I'll try to use my google account! lol
    Diane :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Diane!!! I am so glad it's you. Don't know why I didn't figure that one out!!

    I resisted getting something from Spinner's Hill this time. MUST spin what I have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The patterns are simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! It means the world to me.