Thursday, May 27, 2010

lace on the brain

It must have been the anticipation of THIS arriving in the mail for me that my mind has been on the subject of lace knitting lately.


I made this Foliage hat for my sister. (True confession: I started it before the Citron shawl. First I would alternate: do one repeat on the hat, do one section on the shawl. Then it was just one more section on the shawl. The shawl won.) I finally finished the hat a couple of days ago. This is very soft Queensland Super Aussie Merino worsted.



Then I have the terrible, terrible task of test knitting a new yarn I dyed before my surgery. It's an as yet unnamed blend of 50% merino, 50% silk fingering weight that is simply divine to knit with.
I started on a Prairie Rose shawl from the Knitter's Book of Wool.


I liked the pattern well enough. In fact, it's gorgeous. It was kicking my butt a little, since it's been a while that I've made anything more complicated. Maybe it was my poor post-surgery brain that just couldn't handle it. (Ask me another time what really stupid things I've done in the last two weeks.)
But I decided that the yarn and the pattern were fighting each other....the yarn was too busy for the pattern, the pattern too intricate for the yarn. I frogged it,




and started a Twilight scarf from the book A Fine Fleece.



Better, no?





Tomorrow, we talk about what's inside the book. ;)

5 comments:

  1. I like the scarf better too. I had the same problem with a hand dyed silk and the Angel Wings shawl. The shawl really needed a solid colored yarn so it wouldn't interfere with the intracacies of the pattern. I do love the color of the yarn though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great and since I had a sneak peek I know it feels luxurious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no - another good knitting book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are so, so, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Twilight scarf is a great choice for that yarn! Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! It means the world to me.